Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Let there be life!

Dane and I are proud to announce that we have little green sprouts popping up in our house! No, it is not what you wishful thinkers are thinking :)
Abbie gave us some little pots at her book party and we planted oregano(left) and basil (right). The party was a week ago, and Dane has been eagerly waiting to see any sign of life coming from them. We were so excited to wake up yesterday morning to see their little green heads poking out. I have never grown anything before and was half expecting them to die. I guess I shouldn't speak to soon huh?
We have been perfecting our pizza recipes, and lately we have been experimenting with making a margarita. Let me tell you, fresh basil is where it's at. Mmmmmm....I am imagining pizza in the near future!

P.S. does anyone have any good recipes that use oregano?

8 comments:

mom/Janet said...

give them lots of attention and then repot them if they get too big. you can do it.

Abbie said...

Sweet! Maybe mine is growing too. I'll need to call Scott and make sure he's watering them. :) Yes, definitely repot. And we'll search for some good recipes that use oregano. I think that's Spicy Mexican Chicken one uses it.

Katie Smith said...

Hooray for plants! Mine are growing too. I did basil as well and I can't even tell you how yummy your pizza creation sounds with fresh basil on it. I'm going to need that recipe.

Emily said...

Oregano works in pizza too, but just a dash. It is yummy! Here is a tip for later. When your basil starts flowering snip them off. If you do that the leaves will continue to fill out and your plant will get bigger and bigger! I have a little sprout of basil myself, I love it!

Collette said...

Hey Dane and Bridget. I just saw your link on Abbie's blog. So fun to see what you are up to.
We hope to see you this weekend (and get to know you a little better, Bridget).

Aunt Beth said...

Last summer Aunt Martha had some chocolate basil growing at the base of her porch steps. It smelled wonderful. She sent some home with me which I dried and then froze and am still using occasionally! Doesn't smell as fragrant but it's fun to add to soups and stews.

You're right about fresh herbs being fun and more tasty. All those pizza adventures sound like a lot of fun! Way to go you two.

Aunt Beth

Alysa Stewart said...

I like putting oregano on my sandwitches. Turkey, cheese, lettuce, mayo, mustard, and oregano. Good stuff! Of course, I use dried oregano...from the store...but I'm sure your fresh stuff could work!

Aunt Beth said...

It was great to finally meet you Bridget (and of course, little Ella too) and see Dane and Abbie as well. What a nice visit we had on Aunt Jeanine's front porch.

Here is a link to a few recipes that use oregano:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bloregano.htm

Have fun. I learned a few things about the different types of oregano just finding this site.

Aunt Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...