Saturday, January 10, 2009

job search-update

Well, I have got a lot of news to share, and for once I am actually going to blog about it.  This week has been pretty successful as far as the job search goes.  I had 4 interviews!  I cannot even tell you how much less frustrating the whole process is in this stage.  I actually get to meet people and they can meet me, and they can start deciding if they want me to work for them based off of ME and not a boring piece of paper that by the way, EVERYONE tries to make not-boring, but no one really knows how to right?  Don't get me wrong, I think I have a pretty great resume, but think I can speak for myself better than it can any day.  

Ok, so there are a few things that are pretty important to Dane and I in my search for a job.  Some of them are, we need benefits if we can get them- it really is so much cheaper to get them through working, so that means I need full-time, something that will pay the bills, and something that is close enough to make it work for Dane and I to share one car.  

So here is the rundown on the interviews:

1.  Graphic Designer for a payday-loan company and their website called Checkcity  
       Pros: I get to design and spend time doing what I love to do, and not have to worry about all the code stuff, it is way close and when weather is nice, I could ride my bike, good benefits, but they have  90 day waiting period...which brings me to the 
       Cons: not guaranteed 40 hours, really more like 35? which I would need to qualify for benefits, not quite sure if I could handle the pressure of living up to the expectations of a company who is already out-sourcing to a professional graphic designer.

2.  Risk Analyst for Cybersource (a company similar to Paypal, they do "e-checks")
Pros:  This is a very good company to work for, work in an environment with good, fun people, VERY good benefits that start the DAY I am hired, prob. the highest salary out of all of the places I have applied, could carpool with my next door neighbor who works there (she referred me....hopefully that will work out to be a good "in"), I get to learn new skills and expand my options of future jobs
Cons:  My neighbor is probably moving within the next 6 months and I would have to start commuting on my own to American Fork, it has nothing to do with art, and would not really help me further my teaching career.  

3.  Manager for Chrysalis, an assisted-living company where I would be in charge of a small "home" and 4-5 other employees
Pros: They already offered me the job! It would be good experience working with people, and probably make me a better teacher, close to home and to the provo airport.
Cons:  only pays $10/hour, my hours would be 10~ish-7~ish, sometimes later, 24hrs-a-day-on-call, may have to work overtime, would never get to see Dane, hard, dirty work.

4.  Teaching Aide at a school for autistic children called Clear Horizons Academy
Pros:  I got to meet some of the children when I went in for an interview, they are so cute!  would pay better than the manager position above, I would actually get to put some of my education background to use, it would help me become a better teacher and further my career as a teacher, they are hiring teachers next year, and I would have a pretty good chance of getting a job, work with great people (I just found out that a girl in my ward works there too!  I love her, maybe we could car-pool?)  35 hours/week, giving me time to paint and do other things I love to do, benefits I need
Cons:  Not the best salary, (but not bad), hmmm...I have never worked with autistic children before (not a huge con, but I can't think of much for this job...), might not be able to start benefits until june?  but I am not quite sure on that one...


Well, if you can't tell already which jobs I am leaning towards, I think I would love to get the risk analyst or teaching job, I would really like the graphic design job, and if everything falls through I could work as the manager at Chrysalis.   I still have not decided exactly where is the right place for me, but it feels good to have some hopefuls.  


This was a long summary, but I feel that there has got to be someone out there who wants to know all of this, right?


oh, p.s., I have a second interview at Cybersource for the risk analyst job Monday morning at 9:30, wish me luck!



p.p.s. one thing I have really enjoyed about this stage is having time to get things done, like exercise, keep my house clean, make yummy dinner, and bread, and have time to just not feel stressed.  Ahhhhh, it has been nice.  

8 comments:

Bridget said...

ok I just noticed this, what is it with all these places starting with a "c"?...

Abbie said...

Ok. First of all, I had to laugh when I noticed that you were the first to comment on your own post. I enjoyed the summary and am glad to have a little update on what's going on. I've missed talking with you too. With Ella being sick, I really haven't talked with anyone. I think the teaching job sounds the coolest but that's just me. I'm so glad things seem to be looking up!!

Jenny said...

Okay, I figure you don't really want advice but since you blogged about it, I figure it's fair game. I'd go with the teaching aide job--a job is a job but doing what you like cannot be over-emphasized! Plus, I have found since getting my bachelors (and masters this May!), that when it comes to finally getting the job you "really" want--it does matter what jobs you have had before. Even if your previous jobs haven't been the greatest jobs but in the right field, that is better than a bunch of unrelated jobs that don't really add to what you want to be. I.e.--I worked for a pest control marketing company called Eclipse Marketing after I graduated from BYU until we came out to CT for grad school. It was a go no-where job and has added nothing to my resume except some $$ in the bank. I leave it off my resume now. My work as a research assistant and lab tech that paid less to about the same have helped me way more. anyways, that's my two cents since you didn't ask for it!:) BUT honestly, good luck with everything!

Scott said...

I agree with everything that Jenny said. Doing something related to what you eventually want to do is important.

As a side note, I would only take the job at Chrysalis (sp?) as a last resort. I had a roommate that worked there during college and it is not something I would want to do. Granted, he wasn't a manager, but you'd probably do a lot of the same stuff. If I remember right, you'd basically be taking care of mentally handicapped criminals. These are the ones who do crazy stuff, but aren't mentally competent so the government can't send them to jail. Not sure if you knew all that already, but just thought I'd give ya my two cents. My roommate had some interesting experiences while he worked there.

Jeanna said...

Job hunting is the worst job ever. I hate it, everyone hates it. The good news is that getting interviews is super encouraging and helps you see what is out there as far as job availability, healthcare benefits, salary, etc.

I wish you the best of luck...go with your gut.

Emily said...

Also, Chrysalis, Ryan worked there... You may burn out, maybe not. Good luck if you take that job. I am so proud of you for getting out in the real world to get a real job. I love you, thanks for visiting the other day!

maggie-t said...

Congrats on all the job interviews!! I hope you get the one you want. How did your interview go Monday with the analyst job?

Lori said...

Way to go, Bridget! I'll be excited to hear what ends up happening. Thanks for the enchilada recipe! I actually ran across that one this morning while browsing the internet, and the name of it caught my attention! Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...