Thursday, January 12, 2012

crock pot veggie lasagna

It has been a long time since I have put a recipe up here, and actually I think I am a contributing author on a few recipe blogs with friends and family, but this is just too good not to share with everyone that I know.  Also, this is something that not only I, but my family loves, so I need to remember it for the future.

It's a recipe that I pretty much made up, but again, it's a lasagna, so there's not a whole lot of room for creativity.

Also, for those of you who do not want to make it in a crock pot, I am sure you can and it would be great.  You just need to prepare your noodles before hand and maybe cook the veggies a little longer.  I was very intrigued by the idea of skipping that step and letting it all happen at once.  And I feel like this lasagna holds up really well because the noodles get all of their moisture from the sauce.  It is really dense and filling.  Exactly what I was looking for in a vegetarian dinner. 

So, this is what Dane and I made for dinner the other night--sorry we gobbled it up before we remembered to take a picture :).

Crock-pot Veggie Lasagna

Ingredients
2 T butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 C mushrooms, chopped
1/2 C carrots, chopped in small pieces
1/2 acorn squash, peeled and shredded
(1 C spinach--I didn't add it, but just though of it now.  Also, zucchini would prob be good too, but I really don't like it.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper

dry lasagna noodles (about 1/2 a box?)
about 4 C pasta sauce
2-3 C shredded mozzarella
1C ricotta cheese


Directions
In a large pan, melt butter and saute all of the veggies until the onion start to get translucent.  This will only take about 10 min.  Don't worry that they are not cooked all the way through, that will happen in the crock pot. Add basil and Italian seasoning.

Now, start layering your lasagna.  In the bottom of a large crock pot spread about 1 C of sauce and layer with dry noodles.  Next, spread veggi mixture and about 1 C of the shredded mozzarella. Next, 1 C sauce, noodles and then the ricotta. Again, sauce, noodles, sauce and the remaining mozzarella.

Let cook for 2-3 hours on high, or until the noodles are cooked all the way through.

3 comments:

Robnz Fam said...

B, that looks delish! We have gone all vegetarian recipes in our kitchen too. We have been doing it for about a year and it's been so awesome. We have done quite a bit of vegan recipes and all sugar free too. If you have any of those recipes, I'd love to hear them :).

Aunt Beth said...

Sounds yummo. You'll just have to make it again and take a recipe before it disappears.

maggie-t said...

We made it last night and it was AMAZING!!!
Yes, I still follow our blog :)
Thanks for posting the recipe. I didn't have the squash, but I did add the spinach! we will be making thus again...very soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...