Wednesday, November 2, 2011

highchair cover

For my birthday this year, my mom gave me a sewing machine!  I can't even begin to tell you how trilled I am and how many ideas have been running through my head non-stop.

The first project I did was pretty simple, Lynlee's Halloween costume.  Actually, the only thing that I used the machine for was her hat.  It was super easy.

My next project that I just finished today was a lot bigger of an ordeal.  I would be lying if I didn't say that it was a huge challenge, and that there are plenty of spots that are pretty funny looking if you get too close. But I do have to admit that I am pretty proud of myself (and my mother who helped a TON) for figuring it out.

I made a new pad-seat-cover thingy for our recently acquired highchair.  The highchair was a steal on craig'slist, but it came with a gross, mildew-filled pad.  And because it seems to be a pretty old model, I couldn't find replacement pads online, so my natural thought process is, "I can make one!"  I really had no idea how, but knew that I could figure it out somehow.  :)

All in all, I learned a lot about how to use my machine, how I would have done it completely different next time, AND to make cording. :)

So, here is the finished product!

all finished, ready to see if it fits

Whooo!  Perfect fit!  Notice how I got fancy and even have slits for the straps to come through!

Other fancy feature:  this little pocket on the back that secures the seat cover to the chair

I don't think Lynlee will ever be as excited about this as I am right now :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cool! Where did you get the fabric? It's awesome! And good job sewing!

Emalei Ambrosio said...

You're so ambitious! I would have just bought a new highchair. (As Fabio says, I am all about convinience.)

Aleta said...

Good job! It's super cute!

mom/Janet said...

Way to go Bridget. Good job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...