Friday, February 26, 2010

Ode to Amsterdam

I just accidentally erased my post about Amsterdam and I am not happy. I was almost done and had been working on it for an hour! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So, like it or not, this may not be as good as I was. I guess no one will really know the difference, but I will. It was good. And it was witty. Probably the best post I have ever written, but now you will never know.

So, this is what you are going to get. I am so mad at my clipboard right now. But mostly because It was totally my fault. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR again.

Many of you, well probably all of you know that Dane and I decided to skip town this weekend and hop on a direct flight to Amsterdam from Houston. Why Amsterdam you may ask? Well, it was pretty much the only place that was wide open, we knew we could get back, it is a small enough town we thought we could see it in a day, and we had been dying to try our hands at first class. We had not really planned on going anywhere last weekend and so much like our trip to Boston, it was very last minute.

We got onto a flight out of IAH about 3:00 pm, flew 10 hours and arrived in Holland about 8:00 am. We made our way by train and then tram to our hotel, resisted the bed and headed out to see the city and make the most of our time there. After all, we would be jumping back onto the same flight to head home in 26 hours. So if you do the math it is easy to see that almost half of our trip was on the plane. This may sound awful, but looking back this may have been the highlight. First class is sweet!


We came to enjoy it all. Everything from the pillows and blankets, to the personalized TV's in our armrests, to the wide cushy seats--complete with footrests--that reclineback farther than I thought possible on an airplane.


Would you like a newspaper publication? Yes please! Let's see, how are the Winter Olympics going in Vancouver?


Please select your main course from this amazing menu while enjoying some warmed nuts. Oh, and just in case you don't read English, it is also in Dutch.


Warm dinner rolls and appetizers: coconut chicken with a mango chutney, vegetable spring roll and (not pictured below because this is what Dane had) a warm lobster bisque. Also not pictured below, an amazing salad. Notice the indavidualized butter and salt 'n pepper shakers, so cute!


Dane's dinner: some mustard, bbq chicken thing that was way good with grilled veggies and rice.


My dinner: mushroom ravioli bowl with veggies and a cream sauce. And yes, that is a pretzel roll!


And just in case you aren't already stuffed, the flight attendants brought around a cart of assorted cheeses, European crackers and grapes. And last but not least, ice cream sundaes!


When I woke up, it was time for breakfast. Yum, right? I was still way full from dinner and not really ready to eat, but I knew it would be good and we figured that the more we ate on the plane we would not have to eat in Amsterdam. Breakfast was just as good and beautiful as dinner, but sorry, no good pics.

So, about Amsterdam:
I had been to this town before under similar circumstances a few years ago with my parents. I think we had a 17 or 18 hour layover. So with my parents we had seen a little bit of the city. Dane's sister also visited the Netherlands last year at this same time, so we had a few ideas of things that we wanted to see before jumping on the plane. I did a little research and needless to say found a lot more things to do than we had time.

The weather was forecast to be about 3o degrees with a good chance of snow. Ikk. But we went anyway, and in fact it was quite nice. There was a little wind, but actually ended up being a little sunny, so that made the cold a little more bearable.


Our hotel was just a short walk from a lot of great sites. Our first stop, the Rijksmuseum. We didn't actually go in because we didn't want to get warn out on art all day, but took a picture instead. This museum is on of the most famous in Holland and houses many famous works by Rembrandt and Vermeer.


We did go into the Van Gogh Museum, however. It was lovely, and fun to give Dane a little lesson on the beginning movements of modern art. Here we are in the gift shop after because we couldn't take pictures inside the museum. Can you tell I am trying to look not tired? he he.


Next we went to go see the "Anne Frank House". This is the appartment that has the annex where she and her family hid for two years during WWII. Unfortunately by the time we got there, the line had wrapped around the building and was about 2 blocks long. There was no way that we were going to stand in line for who knows how long in the cold. So, we just took a picture in front of the building. (sorry it's so over exposed...)


We stopped in at a little cafe next to the Anne Frank house to get warm and share a hot cocoa and a chocolate croissant. You know we couldn't have gone to Europe without eating one of these :).


Walking along the canals. The sun came out and I just had to capture the way it bounced off of the buildings here.


Amsterdam would not be Amsterdam without the canals. It is so beautiful. We walked around the for a while longer, debated renting bikes but opted to go on a canal tour. It was warm, and nice to have somewhere to sit.

Here are a couple shots we took from the canal tour:







This mobile-home-looking thing is just that--but the Dutch version. I think on the tour they said there were over 2500 of these homes that just float along the edges of the canals. Talk about a water bed :).


Oh, yeah, and I took this picture too. Poor Dane he was so tired.


Again, us trying not to look tired :).


This is a parking garage near Centraal Station just for bikes. Can you see them all packed in there? There has got to be thousands of them in there.


So, in spite of being tired, we had an amazing trip! It was a ton fun, and definitely worth it. We have finally recovered from the loss of sleep, and I guess time will tell where we go next.




Louis waving goodbye to Amsterdam on the train back to the airport. He had a great time too. For some reason, lobsters don't experience jet lag the same way we do.

16 comments:

Abbie said...

What a fun post! I'm so sorry your original one got deleted. Boo. I want to know how that happened though because usually blogger saves the posts every few minutes.

Either way, you guys sure did look tired but man, what an awesome opportunity!! I bet you slept a ton on the ride home. I totally forgot about the Rijksmuseum!! That would have been fun to go in had you had more time. And pretzel bread, hot cocoas and croissants... my mouth is watering!

Can't wait until you guys can come our way!!

mom/Janet said...

I can't believe Louis went with you. Amsterdam looks cool. Reminds me some of Brugge and parts of Sweden and Denmark. I would love to live on the water like that. So glad you are able to do these fun things. Thanks for sharing.

Emalei Ambrosio said...

ugh- I've been there and am still super jealous! I LOVE that city.

KasiaJ said...

So jealous! That's awesome that you guys got to take an international weekend jaunt. Who does that?! Mike and I were just talking the other day about how great you two are, by the way.

Dale said...

Way nice post!! Is it bad that I am more jealous about first class? Just joking!! I think the Riijksmuseum looks awesome and the Van Gogh museum too. Glad you guys had fun!

Haylee said...

OH B!! that sounds so fun!! I am so glad that you had a great time!! What a fun time in your life!! I love that your plane post is almost as long as your actual trip...then I realized your plane ride was probably almost as long as your trip!! Sure do love your guts!!

Chillygator said...

Dear Bridget,

I hate you (o:

That was SUCH a fun blog post. I'm ready to fly to Europe for the weekend to get hot chocolate too.

Take me next time!

Aubrey said...

I'm so glad that you went - how fun! The Rijks Museum is where I presented my paper on Vermeer when I went on study abroad, so it's a special place for me. I too love the canals.
Europe is always fun, but going by first-class is even better.

Aunt Beth said...

If I believed in reincarnation I'd want to come back as Louis in my next life.

Jenny said...

Come to NYC (we live about an hour and a half away)! Seriously, we'd love to sow you around our favorite (and less well known) parts of the Big City. What fun you guys are having!

Emily said...

am I missing something? who is louis?

Jeanna said...

LOVE IT! Both times I flew back from London I was upgraded to Business class. Dude! First class would rock my world! But ANYthing is better than coach on those 10 hour flights!

You're only young once, so Amsterdam in 26 hours is pretty cool!!

Robnz Fam said...

I thought I read the title wrong...but nope! I kept reading and you two had yourselves an AMAZING adventure! How fun! I love it. Thanks for posting about all your fun trips, it's fun to keep up on everything you two get to do around the world!

Raimo and Jessica Laitinen said...

Hey guys- long time no see! What a fun trip!!! PS Bridget I really like your bangs!

Sarah F said...

wow, the trip looks amazing! and the flight! you got some great pics of the city. i'd love to go there some day.

Mimi said...

What an amazing trip! You guys are awesome to do all that on no sleep. I have to admit, I was a little bummed you didn't end up coming to Chicago for the weekend, but I definitely understand why! Can't pass up a free trip to Europe! Dane might just have the best internship ever.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...