Thursday, May 13, 2010

Washington DC

For the last weekend in April, I had been told that we would be traveling, not to get a job for Friday, to pack clothes for warm weather, and that I was not allowed to ask any more questions. End of story. I wouldn't know where we were going until we got to the gate at the airport.

For those of you who know me, this was really hard! I love, Love, LOVE figuring things out, and to my husband's dismay, I love prying for information about secrets. He was pretty rock solid on this one though, and I have to say that I was totally impressed.

At the airport, through security, we stopped at some seats and Dane handed me my travel package. It was a Continental Airlines folder filled with papers confirming our hotel reservation, a print out of the weather forecast for the weekend, a map of the Metro system, directions to get to church for Sunday, and a complete list of famous sites to see, such as the Mall, every kind of Smithsonian you can imagine and more, historic monuments, and even info about the National Art Museum in Washington D.C.

I was totally shocked! When he said "Bring clothes for warm weather, and oh, yeah. You might want a bathing suit." East cost was ruled out of my mind. We had to be going somewhere in California or something....Way to go Dane. It was a wonderful surprise!

So I wanted to show you all some pics from our adventures. The weather was amazing. It was hot. Actually, maybe a little too hot. But we soaked in as much sunshine as we could.

Here is a nice view of the Jefferson Memorial:



As you can see, it was very bright! This was the best I could do to keep my eyes open for a picture. Washington Monument.



WWII Memorial



Vietnam Memorial



F. D. Roosevelt Memorial. This was one of my favorites. Lots of pretty waterfalls, stone walls, benches and gardens with inspiring quotes from FDR etched into the stone.





Lincoln Monument



Walking up to the Lincoln Monument...wait, is that Nacho Libre or Captain America waiving that American flag?!?!



US Capitol



On to the Smithsonian Museums. Can I just say it is amazing that they are free. So great. here I am in front of Julia Child's kitchen. Love the aqua.



Of course, we had to go see planes, right?



A way awesome mural at the Air and Space Smithsonian



Look what else we found? The FAA office. A bitter-sweet moment for Dane. :)



Thanks to Abbie who lived in DC for a while after her undergrad for recommending this great pizza place. How could our travel blog be complete without food right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...