Tuesday, January 19, 2010

going green

So, I was talking to my sister earlier this morning and she was teasing me about my smoothies. Can I just say, that I got the best Christmas present ever from my mother?! She gave each of my siblings a VitaMix blender. Now, this is not just an ordinary blender. I think it has like 1.5 horse power or something. It is crazy. Anyway, I use it everyday and one of my favorite things to make is my breakfast smoothie. I usually put whatever I have in my fridge in them, so they are always a little different, but today's was amazing, so I felt that I needed to share:

Blend until smooth:
Spinach, one handfull
Kale, one handfull
Green cabbage, thin slice
Baby carrots, 5
Pineapple, 1/2 C
Apple, one half
Banana, one whole
Grape juice, 1/2 C (grapes are a better option, but I didn't have any today)
Ice 1-2 C
It actually made about 2 1/2 of these glasses full (about 5 cups), but I drank it all. It filled me way up and kept me full all morning. I love this breakfast because I figure it gives me 2-3 servings of veggies, and another 2-3 servings of fruit, lots of vitamins and tons of energy without many calories. If you know anything about WeightWatchers, I figure it is about 3-4 points, but I haven't figured out how many calories it has. Anyway, I think it's pretty good for how much energy it gives me and how full it makes me. Enjoy!

4 comments:

TC, Ashley said...

I think I have heard of this blender. Were they doing demonstrations of it at Costco? TC was super impressed with it. That is a great gift!

Sarah F said...

that is awesome! i had the green machine Naked juice today but it was $3 or more and i so just need to make my own! but... my blender smokes when i even try to blend easy stuff right now.... time for one of those!

Jeanna said...

I had a "shamrock" smoothie once at my SIL's house. She LOADED her vitamix with spinach and then some OJ concentrate and a banana, ice cubes and then filled in the minimal gaps with water. That thing was as green as....well, a shamrock...and it tasted FANTASTIC! I'm green w/ envy. My new blender is an oster and I'm pretty sure it couldn't handle a blender-full of spinach. :( But, I'm going to try anyway bc that sounds DELISH!

Haylee said...

So I have to be honest, these look nasty! But, because we are the same person and you like them I will have to give them a try!! You are a brave woman!

About the cupcakes...I did look them up online, but just the pictures not instructions. They were surprisingly easy...I kind of had to improvise for Big Bird's beak though...I looked all through the pantry and the only thing resembling a beak was REALLY stale sweedish fish that I dipped in frosting. :) Also, yes I did make the sesame street characters...I know, I must have way too much time on my hands. That is 3 days worth of Matthew's naps! :) Love you! Hope all is well in Texas!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...